The W. Kent Carper Justice & Public Safety Complex was so named after being renovated in 2010. The buildings were donated to Kanawha County by the original tenant, American Electric Power and Appalachian Power Company. The office building, or A Building, originally opened in 1930, is now home to the Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office and the Kanawha County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.
The B Building has a large equipment bay which houses the Sheriff’s Office’s many specialized vehicles for the SWAT, Bomb, and Methamphetamine Lab Teams, as well as a Crime Scene truck, and a boat for use of the dive team and other operators. A wash-bay is available to clean cruisers and conduct some vehicle maintenance, and there are several locked storage areas where additional equipment is secured.
The B Building also houses a training center consisting of a 48 seat auditorium for classes, lectures, press conferences, meetings, and a simulator room with driver and judgment shooting scenario equipment. A secure sally port and booking area for prisoners increases the safety of the public, Deputies, and arrestees; a modern communications office allows employees to monitor radios, telephones, computer data, teletype releases, and CCTV for Kanawha County.
Offices for victim advocates are located in the B Building. That team helps crime victims navigate the criminal justice system. They can be reached at 304-357-0499. The Legal Process Division offices are there, too. Its members serve civil paperwork, like subpoenas, court orders, and eviction notices, throughout Kanawha County. The phone number for the Legal Process Division is 304-357-0166.